Saturday, January 13, 2007

The Malay Mail Year End Salute Party

The Malay Mail Year End Salute Party was held at Nikko Hotel earlier this evening and Nikki, Yanie and Diddy were invited to perform.

Besides the usual faces, the party was also brimming with celebrities and artistes. The first celebs I spotted were Faizal and Alif, runners-up of One In A Million, Malaysia's reality talent search show where the winner walked away with a cool 1 million ringgit (USD 280,000). Despite the macho pose, these boys are really sweet.



Then Awal spotted me and came over for a quick chat. Awal and I go back a few years. I knew him well before he became a host and the hottest hunk on Malaysian tv. He was still working as a rookie advertising executive when we first met.

Several minutes later, my friend Joe introduced me to Tony.

Me: Hi, I'm Vernon.

Tony: I'm Tony. You're from Kuching, right? I'm Bidayuh, from Kuching too.

Me: Yes, I'm from Kuching. I'm Iban. And you're working with The Malay Mail?

Tony: Errr...no. I'm an actor.

Me: Oh dear! I'm so sorry!

Joe: Shut up, idiot. (hissing as he rolls his eyes)

Me: So sorry Tony. I rarely watch local movies or dramas.

Joe: He's in every godamn teen magazine, you moron! (more whispered hissing)

Tony: It's ok. We're both from the same town, so you're forgiven!

What a faux pas! And I know almost everybody there is to know, so how come I don't know Tony? Ten minutes later, I finally remembered where I'd seen Tony's face before: the one and only time I sat with Nikki and Yanie watching Istana Idaman, only just one of the most popular dramas on tv, many moons ago.

(Awal and Tony)


Que and Sharifah were there too.



Then, a surprise. Nikki was apparently nominated for Best New Breakout Artiste, and she won! Here she is with her cousin, celebrity host Daphne Iking, who also won an award.



VJ Joey G, the gorgeous and stunning hottie of Channel V, was also present. He won two awards.



Joey: Hey Vern, please say HI to Ning for me. It's been ages since I last saw her. (in his yummy accent)

Me: Will do, Joey. (drooling)

Then Nikki, Yanie, Diddy and Farah (Malaysian Idol finalist) posed for the blog.



After Nikki sang the new, remixed version of CARAMU, Yanie and Diddy took the stage and sang their duet, SALING TERPESONA. I felt so proud to see these three hardworking kids up on stage giving their best.



After the party, we went downstairs to the lobby to our next appointment: a meeting with the young and up-and-coming Indonesian designer Jovian Mandagie. He's designing outfits for Ning and Nikki for the ABP Red Carpet walk in early February. Five million people will be watching. My brief to him was simple: THINK GAY.

Next to Yanie is Jovian's boyfriend business partner, Megat Alfie, who also happens to be a good friend of mine.




We all headed home early tonight. Tomorrow will be a busy day for everyone. Nikki is off to Seremban and Johor Baru for the ABP Road Tour and Yanie is off to Batu Pahat for the SURIA.fm Road Tour, and Ning has a private dinner show up at Genting.

And I need to go to the beach at some point this weekend. Need to get clear-headed and organised, as my blogger friend Tezza so rightly advised.

1 Comments:

Blogger whatev said...

Of course, I googled Joey immediately and went straight to Images.

Shallow as a puddle.

Awal's a bit alright, too!

Mon Jan 15, 09:01:00 PM 2007  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home