Thursday, January 11, 2007

Dan got me thinking.

My blogger friend in the States, Dan Renzi, has expressed the suggestion that Ning should come to the States (the East Coast e.g. New York, Philadelphia, New Orleans, Miami, etc etc) during the summer and do a quick circuit tour of the gay clubs, gay parties and related events.

Dan, who titles himself as Ning's biggest No.1 American fan, believes that gay men in the States would 'get' Ning like gay men do here in Malaysia. I mean, just look at this recent picture of Ning. It's got 'gay icon diva' written all over it. And in the States, add 'exotic'. Coupled with her big voice and even bigger personality (like any self-respecting classy fag hag), I am almost certain Ning would appeal to gay audiences there, as Dan firmly believes.




Dan got me thinking. What started as a wild frivolous idea (as far as I was concerned) is now beginning to take form and shape. It's not as far-fetched as I thought it would be. After all, Ning would already be doing Europe in the early summer. What's another flight to the East Coast from Paris or London, and extending the leg of our tour for another week or two?

The last two days have seen me soliciting opinions and feedback from different quarters, and so far, the indication has been overwhelming and unanimous: Go. For. It.

Why the hesitation then? America is an extremely difficult market to penetrate, music wise. There are probably a hundred other Nings out there just begging to be discovered. And the bias in the music industry is cut-throat. I needn't explain. It's dog eats dog. And no, it's not that I have no confidence in Ning breaking into the market. Far from it. It's just that the thought of an asian woman making it big in the USA is simply too fanciful. And daunting.

Coco Lee tried. She was the first asian to get a foot in the American door. But she didn't get very far. Perhaps I may be thinking too big. And maybe that's why I'm thinking of all the reasons why we won't be able to do America. But Dan is suggesting we start modestly, and get the exposure first. His reasoning is logical.

As for the fact that one of Malaysia's most successful pop stars would be working the circuit of the East Coast like some unknown newbie (which is the case), I don't really have any qualms about that. It's honest work. And hey, it's America!

I'm at that point where decisions need to be made, and the feeling is as if I'm naked and vulnerable and on the cusp of something new, something exciting yet frightening, something unknown. I'm feeling like the guy in the picture. (Yes, I can be quite the drama queen.)




4 Comments:

Blogger khalel said...

Ei Vern, Thanks for the info sweetie. Will put this new addy in mah list! mwuah!!!!

Hope to meet you soon!

Fri Jan 12, 10:06:00 AM 2007  
Blogger whatev said...

Drama Queen?

Let's stick with starriest Drama Queen. :D

Go for it, a la the US circuit. You can only be well-organized whilst giving it a go. All I know is that when one is clear-headed whilst being organized and on the ball then when opportunities arise, even when you're on the go, like in the process, you're placed very well to jump on and take the ride.

It all sounds VERY exciting!

Fri Jan 12, 11:15:00 PM 2007  
Blogger vern said...

I don't know, Tezza. I'm still vaccillating between a resounding YES and a whimpery NO.

Ning, on the other hand, is all packed and ready to go.

Sat Jan 13, 04:14:00 AM 2007  
Blogger whatev said...

Go, Ning!

Mon Jan 15, 08:54:00 PM 2007  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home