Thursday, January 25, 2007

World Economic Forum Trip: Day 1 (Rapperswil)

We landed at Zurich airport at 7am to a snow covered wintry morning, - 4C!!! So much for forecasts of a sunny 3C.

Then disaster struck. My handphone wouldn't start! I panicked but Ning said it was probably my battery. True enough, an hour later, at the hotel, upon recharge, it worked.

We're now staying in a small medieval town called Rapperswil, about 45 minutes' drive from Zurich. Everywhere is white! And this is the view from my warm and cozy hotel room. I'm on the top floor, and I have a small balcony overlooking the train station. Click on the picture to see the falling snow.



The artistes get to stay at the best, albeit, elegantly rustic hotel in town facing the lovely lake, while us plebs get to stay at a less expensive but more modern hotel. Oh well, at least I have cheap and high speed internet access in my room.

I'm staying at the Hotel Speer, five minutes' walk from Ning's hotel, the Schwanen Hotel, which overlooks the lake. Here's Ning, Syafinaz and Esther in front of the lake. I don't know how the ducks can still swim in the near frozen water.



By 11am, we all decided to go shopping. First stop, shoe store. Here's Ning buying enough winter boots to last her three winters.



Baby Elle, our make-up artist, bought himself a white Kappa winter jacket and a pair of snow boots!



I took this picture of a car covered in snow. For a Malaysian coming to a winter town, this sight is a novelty.



Then Simon, our sound engineer, took this picture of me squatting by the slush at the side of the street. This was how bored Simon and I got; we started taking silly pictures. Why were we bored?



Because madam was shopping for more shoes, and we'd seen enough shoes for the day!!!



Here's a close-up of Diva's latest acquisition.



By 3pm, we were famished, so we made our way to a nice little self-service cafe in the mall.



This was my lunch.



Kathy Ibrahim didn't come shopping with us. She felt a little under the weather and decided to stay in. The rest of the team (musicians and production crew) went sight-seeing.

Our dancers are already up at Davos, staying with the organising team at the Dutch Hospital; a real hospital that is temporarily converted into a 'makeshift hotel' for the duration of the World Economic Forum. No room service. Which is why we opted to stay in Rapperswil.

Here are the artistes having lunch.



After lunch, we went to the ancient part of Rapperswil, and had fun playing with the snow.



My palm print in the 2 inch thick snow.



Winter Diva.



By 5pm, we made our way back to our respective hotels. It's already dark, and very beautiful. This is Ning's hotel.



The view of the lake.



Jameel Asal, half Swiss half Turkish, is the front desk officer at Ning's hotel. We were surprised to find out that Jameel is Muslim.



The front view of the hotel where I'm staying at.



The reception/lobby area.



The adjacent bar.



The restaurant.



There's even a gourmet sushi bar beside the restaurant.



Dinner was a non-event. Everyone decided to crash. So I went over to the kebab cafe next door.



As tomorrow is another free day, we have decided to take the train to Zurich (30 minutes ride) in the morning for...yes, more shopping.

2 Comments:

Blogger whatev said...

I'll have to come back and check out all of the above. (Decided to check in at an inopportune time.) I was thinking, Vern will be too busy to give us a running commentary, but No! Here it is.

Be back soon.

It's all looking swell.

Sun Jan 28, 07:55:00 AM 2007  
Blogger whatev said...

I've caught up to my old comment.

Jameel's all cute, and your hotel view is very 'chocolate box'.

Wed Jan 31, 10:05:00 AM 2007  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home